Saturday, 21 September 2013

English irregular verbs (Anki deck)

I've talked about creating Anki decks in the past and for one of my classes this year I need to brush up on my grammar. One of the most tricky things, I've always found, was irregular verbs. For that reason I've created my own Anki deck with irregular verbs and I'll share it with you all.

You can find my original post on Anki here: Anki, how to set it up to learn Japanese
It talks about what you need to install to get Anki to work to study Japanese but it also includes all the links to install Anki on your computer.

So, here is the link to the deck I created: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1042687651
(If you like the deck please don't forget to leave a rating, the more ratings the higher the visibility)

The directions to install are simple:
1. Download the deck (big green button)
2. Doubleclick on the file
3. It installs itself
4. Get ready to study (or look below to see how I made these cards prettier)


This is the way my cards look:



To create this same look you follow these steps:
1. Go to the deck page -> click Add -> Fields...
2. Make sure the first line is called Verb (originally front) and the second line is called conjugate (originally called back). Close this and go back to the Add screen.
3. Click on Cards...
4. Which brings you to this screen:

5. Add these sets of code in the boxes on the left side:
Front Template:

<div class=quest>Verb<br/></div>
<br/>
{{Verb}}

Styling:

.card {
 font-family: arial;
 font-size: 20px;
 text-align: center;
 color: black;
 background-color: white;
}
.quest {
 font-family: arial;
 font-size: 15px;
 text-align: center;
 color: black;
 background-color: white;
}

Back Template:

{{FrontSide}}

<hr id=answer>
<div class=quest>Simple Form - Simple Past - Past Participle<br/> </br/></div>
{{conjugate}}


Click all of them away and you can now study your verbs!

For studying on the go I would advise to use Ankidroid for android phones and to use the AnkiWeb for both iPhones and Windows phones.
In Windows phone you can go to your decks page and just go to the menu and click on "attach to home screen" to have easy access to the website. This is almost as good as having an actual app.

I hope you'll have fun with this deck!

Study on!

Kia