Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Plans for this blog

I already talked about what my own plans were, today is a bit about what I'll be doing with this blog.

I'll try to keep to a regular schedule (I've already planned a couple of weeks ahead) and I'll be starting from the beginning. My own experience with the language is mostly hearing based so most of this will be reading/writing based as to get a better grip on the language. Since Japanese has a limited set of sounds that make a lot of words and since multiple ways of writing something can be said the same way  I think it's important to also be able to read a lot of things.

My Fav anime, Gravitation, I can actually speak along to parts because I've seen it to often ;)


When you're following this blog to not just follow my experiences but to learn I expect that you listen to a lot of music/band interviews/tv shows/anime and that you have a feeling for the language when it comes to recognising the language. If you can sort of get a mood or emotion from just listening/watching without reading subtitles all the time you're in a good spot.
I think the funniest thing is when you can just read subtitles from an anime and already know what the character will say as you can recognise some of the common phrases (which can also mean you might have seen the anime too often, but that is a different problem ;) ).

Even though I've already mastered hiragana and am almost there for katakana too I'll be starting from scratch on this blog, this gives me some time to be ahead and create a plan where to go next before sharing it with you all. The first few weeks I'll be talking through how to master hiragana (3 weeks) and then katakana (2 weeks) and things like sounds (pronunciation and writing) and other conventions that have to do with the two kana sets. After that I'll start with the first of the 80 kanji you need to know for N5 level grouped by one theme each week.
The planning for now (as it is scheduled) is to do new vocabulary (hiragana/katakana/kanji) each Wednesday and to do grammar and other things that need explanation that goes well with the vocab of the week on Friday.
Mondays will be free for me to talk about whatever I like, this might be about learning Japanese or something funny I found, or some music or something else. This is also the moment I can openly answer questions I get on the Wednesday/Friday posts that might be of interest for more people.

I'll also be posting interviews with people. The first one will go up tomorrow. If you are learning Japanese or any other language or if you already speak more than one language think about maybe filling out an interview form (which you can find in the interview tab at the top). I like to hear from other people who speak or are trying/learning to speak more than one language.

The posts will be in English for most of it, though I might use examples of other languages too if it is more appropriate.

Study on!

Kia

Word list for today:
kana = the syllable "alphabets" the Japanese language uses, there are two types, hiragana and katakana.
hiragana = used to write Japanese words and is used for grammar. This kana is used for words that are Japanese in origin and in some cases to represent kanji.
katakana = used to write non-Japanese words (like English terms they may use) and things like foreign names (like Kia is written in the header). They are also used to write sound-words (onomatopoeia) which I'll talk about in one of the coming weeks.
kanji = "words" of the Japanese language, these are not just used as words but can also be used as sounds like the kana and they often have more than one way of reading them. I'll explain it better when we get to them.
anime = Japanese cartoons, there are anime for all age groups and both genders and are far more common than cartoons are in the west. There are special cartoons for children, teenagers and even adults.